[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

JHCTES Software

To All -

Richard Quick's comments regarding the JHCTES program are well taken.
However, I have been told by other coilers that the program is the best
presently available. They did not say it is the ultimate program. They
suggested several improvements that I am considering.

The main problem in developing an improved program is that it requires a lot
of building of new coils and the testing and collecting of the new parameter
data. This means the time and money required will be only partially
compensated for because of the small number of sales. Other Tesla programs
are not based on equations from empirical test data obtained from real coils
like the JHCTES program.

Richard's comments, however, have promted me to go out on a limb and offer a
free service to TESLA LIST coilers for a limited time. In this way they can
judge for themselves the value of the program for their purposes. The free
service will consist of a JHCTES computer printout with comments when they
send me the necessary input data of their coils. They can then compare the
computer output data with what they find in testing their coils. Or they can
use the information to build a new coil or to decide if they want to build
that type of coil.

There are 34 program output parameters including operating frequency,
primary and secondary inductance, Q factor,eyc. Also included are spark
length, K factor, overall efficiency, and much more. The program outputs are
average values of typical real coils that can be used to compare with your
coil. You will then know if your coil is below oe above average.

You can determine how to test your coil parameters by tests shown in many
publications including my books. If your coil is not working well compared
to the typical coil, the printout will point out the differences in the
parameters. For example, you can test for the inductance of your secondary
and compare it with the program inductance. Even the experienced coiler can
use this information and save himself the work of doing all of the necessary
calculations to keep the coil in tune.

Another possibility is that your coil does not work at all. In this event,
the printout will maybe show you what is wrong. However, there are no
guarantees. Why? Because the printout can not detect leaky primary
capacitors, defective transformers, etc. Only an EXPERENCED COILER can find
these problems. You will then have to get one of these guys to help you. If
it is a coil designed by the JHCTES program that does not work it will be a
first and I will be very interested in the details.

What I need for your free printout are the following input parameters of
your coil:

1. Type of transformer - neon or pole - wattage - secondary volts
2. Primary capacitor - uf - voltage rating
3. Primary coil type - coil or spiral - radius inches
4. If spiral - width of turns
5. Secondary coil radius - inches
6. Secondary coil number of turns
7. Secondary winding - turns per inch
8. Secondary bare wire diam - inches
9. Secondary terminal - sphere diam inches - toroid small and large diam -
inches

Any other details you have available that might affect the design.

Note that the program is for solid or stranded wire and enamel or other
insulations. The program gives the insulation thickness required. This is
calculated from the input secondary turns per inch and the secondary bare
wire diam so these must be accurately given (to 1 mil or .001 inch)
otherwise the enamel thickness will be negative in the outputs. This will
cause the program to show incorrect secondary voltages and spark lengths. I
must admit that this part of the program can be improved.

Don't forget to send me your name and address because my reply will be by
snail mail.

John H. Couture
10823 New Salem Point
San Diego, CA 92126