[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin Effect & Primary Current?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-comFri Jul 19 22:37:54 1996
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 13:54:40 -0400
> From: DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Skin Effect & Primary Current?
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> I recall someone figureing how deep the penetration was of
> the primary current into the conductor. Could someone who
> knows or remembers how to figure it, please tell me.
>
> Also, how do you figure the optimum tubing diameter to use
> for a given primary LC?
>
> my new coil will use
>
> Kevin M.Conkey

Kevin,

Current from a sinusodial current wave will penetrate about 1.0mm into a
copper conductor in 10us.  Thus, for a 100 khz coil, any copper tubing
with a wall thickness  of 1mm will be sufficient.  The diameter of the
tubing is important only for a specific current! a 2mm solid diameter
wire would carry every bit of energy from a 100khz coil.  The ohmic
losses would be high though.  Therefore, you need to use a minimum of 1mm
walled copper tubing with as large a surface area as possible. I used
5/8" copper tubing on Nemesis at 56Khz and 13,000 watts never warmed it!
 For 2Kw and under 1/4" copper tubing is OK, 3/8" for up to 5KW is good
and beyond that 1/2" or large is called for.  The bottm line is use the
largest tubing possible to reduce losses.

Richard Hull, TCBOR