[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Heat from pig resistance.

<<
 	My coil uses an acrlyic 8" dia by 36" long secondary with 28" of #20
 wire on it.  I use a 48"x 8" toroid with a 15 turn 1/2" dai copper tube
 primary mated to a .025 mfd. -at- 20,000VAC CP cap.  The power supply is a
 14,400 VAC pole pig at 10 KW from T&R in South Dakota.  I got a 28 amp
 0-280 VAC autotransformer and a Century welder on the pig primary side.
 The spark gap is a seven gap stationary in series with a rotary with
 twelve moving points driven by a Carter 1 HP 0-10,000 RPM motor.  That's
 the entire story here, with the results being 80" sparks, recorded on
 video.  The average power draw while getting maximum spark was 18-25
 amps at 300 VAC measured output from the autotransformer(high line
 voltage around here!).  Rotary gap never showed any signs of difficulty.
 	Last night I put the second coat of polyurethane on the new system
 secondary.  I have finished winding the 15 1/4" diameter by 60" inch PVC
 form with about 56" of #15 wire.  It is pretty heavy, about 37 lbs of
 wire and 40 lbs for the form.  It looks great at this point.  The new
 stationary gap is nine 3" long by 1" inch diameter solid brass rods
 mounted in an acrlyic housing, all spaced .025" apart.  I'm using one of
 the American Scientific vacuum cleaner motors for this vacuum gap system
 that again will run in series with the rotary I already mentioned.
 	While putting the first coat of poly on the new secondary, some dripped
 on our basement rec room rug----how long will it be before the wife
 notices this?? Any ideas?  Maybe I can convince her it was our dog?
 I'm video taping this entire construction project, so I might have
 something to share with others if it turns out to be at all of
 interest.  I yell when I've got some more accumulated.

 Chuck >>

Chuck,

Sounds like a hell of a system.  Please keep us posted.  Ed Sonderman