[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3/4 wavelength error

>From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: 3/4 wavelength error
>

>> Skip,
>>         I knew that you were using a sync break and getting very good
>> length discharges. I did not realize you were using such a short
>> length secondary and primary. What value is your primary cap? 0.02uF?
>>
>>         you've perked my interest.
>>
>>         jim
>
>Depending on the drive transformer which I happen to be using, I have been most
>successful in using a cap that is matched to the transformer using the classical
>formula. When using a 15kv 120 ma unit, I use a .021 mfd. My best input power to
>discharge ratio has been when using a 720 va transformer which produces 48" discharges.
>I cannot figure out why I have been unable substantially increase the discharges when
>going to higher power.
>
>Skip

May I suggest that you are not using the higher power? If you have a
synchronous rotary, a fixed number of commutations per cycle, and the
same HV. P= 1/2 * C * V^2 * BPS : won't change. You are doing some
things right thought. 4' at 720va! I would guess that the output
voltage of your neons are similar. Changing the cap will not effect
the drive voltage to the TC primary much.

	jim