[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Plexiglass Form

>>From SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-comFri Aug 16 13:37:13 1996
>Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:30:00 -0400
>From: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
>To: Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Plexiglass Form

>The form I have the merchant says is cast. I used a hole cutting bit in the
>drill press to cut a cap for the top and a 6 inch base plate for mounting.
>Both plates will have a hole in the center but no wires on the inside of the
>form. Is this an OK design or should I seal the holes completely. Also what
>would be the result of evacuation of the form and putting in neon, any
>adverse effects?     Steve

Steve,

I think it is fine to leave the holes open, especially so until
whatever solvent/glue you use to weld the end caps on is mostly
outgassed.  You don't want a potentially explosive solvent-air
mixture within your secondary.  Might be a good idea to purge it by
blowing dry air through the holes from a vacuum cleaner or better, a
dry nitrogen gas cylinder after a few days of curing.  You could then seal them
off if you wish.

If you evacuate the interior of your plexyglass cylinder, the
solvent/glue used to attach the ends will outgass for quite a long
time, possibly weeks, before it settles down to the vacuum level
being drawn.  At that point you could introduce low presssure neon
and seal off the coil tube with an all plastic valve to the pressure
desired.  I expect that the gas will glow brightly as in a neon sign
and the plasma will act as a voltage shunt across the entire
secondary reducing the total output to where a discharge streamer is
not possible.  You will only be able to draw small sparks from a
grounded wand brought near the top coil terminal.  After a very short
amount of run time you will probably notice the inside walls of your
plexyglass tube becoming coated with a milky white diffusion.  This
would be caused by plexiglass molecules in the plastic wall being
knocked free into the vacuum/low pressure neon space by accelerated
neon ions acting as a random ion bombarding machine.  These
plexyglass molecules will re-attach themselves to the inside wall of
the tube as white dust.

I've never tried the above so I'm only making a best guess on this
based on limited experience.  I suspect that comments on this thread
may quickly evolve beyond the scope of Tesla
coils and should probably be continued on the HV List, or the Noble
Gasses in Evacuated Plastic Vessels Excited By Strong EM Fields
list;)

Regards, rwstephens