[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifiers

Hi Ed,

>marcus wrote:
>
>M>Yeah, ok I wasnt very clear. I know that the secondary circuit is
>M>physically isolated from the primary . Just a slip, I often think
>M>of 'isolation transformer', when I think of 1:1 turns ratio trans
>M>formers.:) My point was that a Tesla tank allready has high voltage RF
>M>current, and that a 1:1 transformation or at least a low transformer
>M>ratio between the primary and secondary could provide a much higher
>M>base current to 'stimulate' the tertiary than the standard 1:10-20
>M>ratio. Do you know the lowest voltage that could properly resonate
>M>the tertiary?

>Since the base impedence of a 'free' or extra coil at resonance depends
>on its geometry anthe discharge terminal (and can vary over a wide range),
>I expect that one would not want to stick with any particular primary
>to secondary ratio. You would want to pick the ratio which gives the best
>impedance match between the driver output and the extra coil to achieve the
>highest power transfer possible. This matching could be quite painful in
>practice, but otherwise you just get power reflected and dissipated back in
>the driver. It might be nice if you could put a variable tap on your driver
>secondary.

I generally overwind my coils a bit ( secondary or tertiary), and pull winds
off if/as nescecary. It gives more flexibility when 'fine tuning' the coil,
and especially 'matching' the terminal capacity to the coil. :)

>Also (not shown) you made a statement to the effect that magnifiers are
>somehow science off the beaten path.

No no no, Ive built and run one , and they work just fine, and are very
real and 'hard' science. I just meant that compared to primary/secondary
systems, primary/secondary/tertiary systems are relitavley untrodden ground
for most. Even the 'masters' such as Richard Hull, Ed Wingate and Bill Wysock
and others are still way from exhausted with magnifier experimentation. :)
I recently saw video of Ed's last 'Teslathon'. The magnifier was throwing
allmost continuous 10-15ft 'thick', 'white hot' arcs to earthing posts at
7-8KVA.
Just by seeing the thing in action, you can see how severley the possible
arc length is hindered by the earths. With my own experience it 'looks'
like it could easily do 20+ ft if were placed futher from earth points!

>To this I would just say that a recent
>issue of an industrial plasmas journal has an article dealing with what we
>call magnifiers. They base driven a free coil 13MHz) inside of a vacuum
>chamber to generate reactive plasmas for semiconductor processing!
>Not so offbeat, eh?

No, not offbeat at all, but wow, 13MHz! That sure be a 'high pitch'
magnifier!

>A guy named Sloan did something similar to generate
>high voltages for his X-ray system in the 30's. He used an ultra simple
>homemade 100kW vacuum tube oscillator to base drive a 10 turn coil at 6Mhz
>and got 800kV under load!! I will find the references upon request.

That would be most interesting, yes please! Post references by all means! :)
Wow, only 10 turns! Do you know the aspect ratio of the free coil and wire
gauge, dimentions ect.?

Marcus