[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Group Archives

TE>From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org Tue Aug  8 07:12 MDT 1995

TE> * Original msg to: Kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi

TE> KU> btw: I thought about faq for the list.. What do you think
TE> KU> about these paragraphs:

TE>  0.      Warnings about the hazard nature of the devices
TE>  1.      Tesla himself

[edited]

I think the main headings are right on the button, really good.
Do you think a specific heading for "Important formulas" (to
calculate the main parameters) should be included ? Could this be
handled by simply giving the lit. refs ?

It's been said before that coiling as we do it is a "sort of
art", but it's important in any serious study to separate the art
from the science. The construction of Tesla coils should not be
seen totally as an "art" in itself, this is obviously untrue as
evidenced by the huge number of scientific studies of the "Tesla
transformer" and associated hardware. There is ample proof that
the operation is easily and accurately predicted by theory given
accurate components and construction.

If it is regarded as an art, then this shows some reluctance on
the part of the constructor to accept the part played by the
science and theory of the coil. By understanding this well we can
begin to build with real confidence. Of course constructors of
long experience probably apply more science than they are aware
of, or are able to explain to less experienced people. "Tweaking"
in the end will produce results, but this tweaking is always the
result of experience _and_ science. One can get there much
quicker by accepting and using a certain number of basic
formulae.

To give you some appreciation of this, I started out building
caps using glass plates ! My first secondaries were wound on
broom handles !!! I weep now when I think of the effort and
heartache that went in - all mostly in vain. A modicum of science
could have saved the day tremendously.

The refs. given a few days ago in this list prove what I'm saying :

Electron beam production by a Tesla transformer accelerator.
Boscolo et al. Rev. Sci. Instruments. V 48 No 7 P747 (1977)

A Tesla transformer as high voltage generator.
Hoffmann. Rev Sci. Instruments. V 46 No 1 P1 (1975)

Design Charts for Tesla transformer type relativistic electron
beam generators.
Matsuzawa et al. Rev Sci. Instruments. V 53 No 5. P694 (1982)

(Out of interest some of these use up to 100kV into 20 microfarad
for the primary circuits. One uses a pressure vessel filled with
sulphur hexafluoride to 60 psi as an insulator ! Peak voltages
are up to 2.5 MV. Capacitors are often of the water type)

In all cases the theory closely predicts the performance.

The art as I see it is a learned appreciation of the materials
and some parts of the construction and is separate from the
actual determination of the various quantities involved
(capacitance, inductance etc) and their relationships.

The Tesla coil can be built in any number of configurations as
required to suit different purposes, e.g a relativistic beam
instrument is not built the same way as a spark coil or a solid
state coil, but the principles of operation are the same for all.

TE>I agree. The FAQ on this subject really needs to draw the
TE>questioner into the material. Go ahead and gather a draft
TE>version. If there are holes that need to be filled now, let me
TE>know the intended length, format, etc. and I will be happy to
TE>provide text to fill in the gaps.

TE>We can plug in the raw information in the coming months. It looks
TE>like I am going to write a book too, so the drawings and
TE>techincal details can serve both purposes.

Please let me know if you want a section filled in, however I
warn you, I will be referring extensively to the work of Richard
Quick !

Jim Oliver <jim.oliver-at-welcom.gen.nz>

 * SLMR 2.1a * *********** Pretty starry out tonight ************