[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps

Greetings,

I was looking over cshields' latest message and was thinking about
transformer voltage.  I am using a bunch of neon sign transformers in parallel
and using a variac to adjust the voltage.  My question is: Does
anyone know if variacs will "limit" the current that you can draw
through them?  It occurred to me that if the variac restricts the current
then I could have all the transformers in the world and only get a
small amount of wattage out of the whole thing.  I am using a 1 KVA
variac (10 amp) to power the thing.
My spark gap is a series gap made of 8 3" pieces of 1" copper pipe
in parallel:
End view: OOOOOOOO
Top view: ||||||||

There is 0.018" between each piece.

Here's another general toss up question:
If your secondary shorts out between two windings (as evidenced by arcing
between two windings) is the tuning kaput?

Chip