Re: [TCML] Nothing like first light

bartb skrev:
What are you doing now for voltage doublers? I noticed in Terry's Piranha 3 circuit, he is doubling the voltage, but using the 2nd transformer for purely current. However, those MOT hv windings could also be put in series (putting the tank caps back to ground as in the Piranha 2 circuit) and could easily obtain 7 to 8kV with the 2 MOT's with about 23A input (maybe 7.5 foot sparks!). A couple more SISG boards would be needed of course.

I look forward to hearing how you pulled in audio gating of the IGBT's.

Happy New Year,
Bart

Finn Hammer wrote:
Bart, all,

I am using just an ordinary voltage doubler, like this one, with dual 3300µF/420V lytics:
http://virtual.cvut.cz/dyn/examples/examples/electronic/doubvolt/

so the input to the coil looks like this:

variac, voltage doubler, charging choke, deQing diode.
The charging choke is just a MOT with the "I" lams. removed, primary windings are used, the secondary windings are in situ, but unused, (and if they were not situated in the bottom of the winding window, I would have removed them.)

That`s it. Good old DC resonant charging supply out of the Radar aera. A well understood solution. All sidac`s, exept the top half, are bypassed by a SCR, which allows me to force ringdown with an input voltage starting at 136V. The following ringdowns happen from 272V then, due to the _voltage doubling in the charging choke_ .

Due to this, I also have exclusive control of the breakrate

Since the SCR trigger is already commutated by a fiber optic link, audio comes easy, : just plug into the modulator.

This coil is destined for something else, which I will reveal in due course, but audio is inherently available.
I`l post a link when it gets recorded, now I shut down PC before doing it.

Cheers, Finn hammer