Re: [TCML] magnifier efficiency, was : Hi power/ little coil??

Jim,

Power output is only proportional to break rate if the charging
voltage remains constant.  Often, the tank cap fails to charge
up to as high a voltage when the break rate is increased.  Thus
the power output may not rise all that much, and spark length
may not increase either.  This is why my basic equation ignores
break rate.

In any case there's nothing about a magnifier that requires
a high break rate, nor a smaller capacitance, nor a higher voltage,
nor a special spark gap.   Richard usually didn't run his
break rate all that super-high on his magnifier. Since his caps were small,
he *had* to use a pretty high break rate *and* and high
voltage to obtain an adequate power throughput.  However
the same thing can be done with any classic TC with similar results.
In general, higher break rates tend to be less efficient however,
whether it's a classic TC or a magnifier.

In many ways there are only two things that are most important
for spark length; 1) power input, 2) toroid size (whether it's a
classic coil or a magnifier).   Everything
in between doesn't matter all that much as long as it's reasonable
and pretty good.  The entire Tesla coil in that sense can be thought
of as a voltage converter.  You need enough power input to supply
the needed voltage to the toroid.  You need a big toroid to get
long sparks with reasonable efficiency.

John
---

Hello All,

I watched Richard's magnifier tape and was, and like many others,
immediately hooked on extreme arcs; though I think he was pouring in
something slightly over 5KW. Hi magic, I believe, was in his efficient
magnifier, Hugh top load, but of equal or more importance, the extreme brake rate of his unique RSG. This would require smaller capacitance and higher
voltage, yes?

Richie Burnett states that the power out is directly proportional to the
break rate (within obvious limits). Is this true in non-resonate charging? Somehow this can't be seen with the version of JAVAYC I use on John Frue's
equation.

Thanks for your input,
Jim Mora