[TCML] Intro and questions

Just a quick introduction:

My name is Paul, I've been doing some of the "introductory" HV stuff like Jaccob's Ladders, & ignition coil spark drivers etc.
now it's time to move on to tesla coils. I've been reading as much as I can online and trying to seperate the wheat from the
chaff. I hope that once I get up to speed, I can then reciprocate and help others.
I live in Michigan and work as a computer programmer/network admin.

ok, on to the questions! (knew that was coming, didn't you)

I have a franceformer 9kv 30mA nst I will use for my first coil. I've read online about the range of sizes appropriate for use
given a particular input. What are the parameters for the choice though? How do I decide if I should use say 2 inch versus 3
or 3.5? I don't have any of them available at home, I only would have 1" PVC so I have to purchase PVC or what-have-you
regardless. I also do not have  anywhere near enough wire so I will wind up purchasing that too. The wire choice, as I understand
it should be such that for whatever size form I have, I should get 800 - 1600 turns with a winding/length ratio of about 5:1 (correct?)

thanks for your input/feedback to help this newbie get started  ;-)
(for what it's worth, even though I'm not particularly well versed in some of these aspects, I'd rather learn what I can about it rather
than have someone just give me a shopping list)

tia
Paul...