Re: [TCML] Intro and questions

Where in MI are you? I'm in Hudsonville, which is in between Holland and Grand Rapids. If you are close and can make it here, I can show you some things. I currently have my 4" coil powered with a 9KV 30mA NST set up in my basement and get about 18" arcs. When I can set up in my garage, I power this same coil with 4 MOT's and get 50"+ arcs. I'm working on both a much bigger coil (pole pig powered, synchronous rotary) and a much smaller coil (Bug zapper tranny powered) at the moment. I would be more than happy to have you come by and check it out. I might even have some stuff lying around in my workshop to get you started. I have some videos of my coil and power supplies on youtube here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEZCx337cLc&feature=PlayList&p=8C88499F44D7004C&index=3&playnext=4&playnext_from=PL
Or if you are closer to Kalamazoo, get down to the geek group headquarters (get directions at www.thegeekgroup.org). These guys are amazing. Much like this list, they are doing it for the cause, so to speak, and are right in our own backyard. Project Gemini is a sight to behold in person. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQDcE4my9zw

dunnsept <dunnsept@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Just a quick introduction:

My name is Paul, I've been doing some of the "introductory" HV stuff like Jaccob's Ladders, & ignition coil spark drivers etc.
now it's time to move on to tesla coils. I've been reading as much as I can online and trying to seperate the wheat from the
chaff. I hope that once I get up to speed, I can then reciprocate and help others.
I live in Michigan and work as a computer programmer/network admin.

ok, on to the questions! (knew that was coming, didn't you)

I have a franceformer 9kv 30mA nst I will use for my first coil. I've read online about the range of sizes appropriate for use
given a particular input. What are the parameters for the choice though? How do I decide if I should use say 2 inch versus 3
or 3.5? I don't have any of them available at home, I only would have 1" PVC so I have to purchase PVC or what-have-you
regardless. I also do not have  anywhere near enough wire so I will wind up purchasing that too. The wire choice, as I understand
it should be such that for whatever size form I have, I should get 800 - 1600 turns with a winding/length ratio of about 5:1 (correct?)

thanks for your input/feedback to help this newbie get started  ;-)
(for what it's worth, even though I'm not particularly well versed in some of these aspects, I'd rather learn what I can about it rather
than have someone just give me a shopping list)

tia
Paul...