RE: [TCML] Intro and questions

Hi Paul:

I assume you're talking about the secondary dimensions?  The lower limit would be governed by when the coil's sparks coming off the top load would be too close to the primary and just hit there.  The upper limit is more difficult to define.

You're right about the number of turns and aspect ratio.  I have found that bigger is almost always better, sometimes being bigger than what is "typical" for a certain power rating.  Being big forces the secondary, and conversely, the primary, to have high inductance values, which is believed to minimize losses in the spark gap.  It also forces lower frequencies which tend to have lower losses.  For my 4/20 NST-powered coil, I found a significant performance gain by going from a 1.9" dia to a 4.2" dia secondary.  Only the pri & sec coils changed, everything else stayed the same.

There no doubt is an upper limit, relating to when the secondary capacitance becomes so high that the given power level can't charge it to the point of breakout.  But I suspect it would look aesthetically silly before you get to that point.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA