Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter/ 60 hz resonant circuits.

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich@xxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> >Original poster: stork <stork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >Does the current in the earth from the ground
> connection move as a
> >conduction current . . . ?
>
> Yes, true conduction current flows outward through
> the earth from a
> Tesla coil transmitter's ground terminal.  Assuming
> a uniform texture
> and composition of the surrounding terrain, this
> current diminishes
> in strength equally in all horizontal directions as
> the distance from
> the terminal increases.  This situation changes if
> an identically
> tuned Tesla receiving transformer is brought into
> operation at
> another location.  In this case there is an increase
> in the current
> that flows from the transmitter's ground terminal
> and a conduction
> current passes through Earth in direction of the
> receiver's ground terminal.
>
> >. . . Is the earth itself a conductor or
> dielectric?

It would seem that we can accomplish one wire
conductions to earth quite easily via neon to ground
connections. A single high induction coil of 80 lbs of
spooled 23 gauge wire; having an inductance of some 60
henry can be resonated at the supply freq of 60 hz,
using about .12 uf capacity. The reactive elements
respond with a q of 15, engaging a voltage rise 15
times the source. At about 55 volts variac input to
the 60 hz resonant LC series combination, a neon can
discharge to a ground pole.  Each of these  L and C
voltage rises are against each other, but they are
slightly out of phase ;So that the supply voltage is
read on the outside of the circuits as its input; but
which is also the net difference of the two internally
created q higher voltage rises timewise in their
cycles. This may seem irrevalent on the phasing
difference issue of the internally created voltages;
but differences in line coupled and inductively
coupled resonances lies in this phasing issue; where
the following is shown.  In certain air core
applications another air core  series LC combination
can act as a step up transformer; where we are
applying this same high induction spool @ 400 hz via
AC alternator. Designating the secondary as LsCs, the
primary can be a 14 gauge 11 mh coil as LpCp. In this
situation the vicinity of  the closed loop LsCs to Lp
will decrease Lp's inductive reactance, so that the
primary necessarily needs to be tuned to account for
the presence of the secondary; where a 40% increase of
capacity is needed for the case of maximum coupling.
But at the same time it is found that the tightest
coupling also reduces the primaries (acting real) q
factor, with the net result that a looser coupling,
having a higher q series resonant rise of amperage on
the primary input; actually can transmit more power to
LsCs in loose coupling where it is noted the the
secondaries amp turns are in excess to the primaries
amp turns, showing its great efficiency as a
transformer. In this situation; instead of LsCs being
a closed loop, the series LsCs endings are given open
end connections to other 400 hz resonant circuits, two
large groups of 10 spools of primary 14 gauge coil. It
is noted that high voltage is present on LsCs midpoint
as it will light a neon to ground or polar capacity
but when we measure the internal volatge rise vs the
"outside series LC" inductively imposed voltage we
find it to be practically zero. Thus it seems
reasonable to conclude that the line coupled resonance
has its internal voltage rises "almost" 180 out of
phase, but it's inductive counterpart or air coupled
resonance has its internally generated voltage rises
"completely" 180 out of phase, so that again the
outside of the circuit only registers the net
difference timewise of these higher internal voltages.
The advantage of having the third resonant circuit
attached to LsCs endings is that it can have its
endings closed so that now the LsCs secondary serves
as a driver of current; or generator to a load. By
making the low resistance ending circuit act as a much
higher impedance tank, we find that this tank responds
with a higher Q factor then if the same circuit were
given the equivalent line coupled voltages from its
LpCp alternator generator. This obviously then is due
to the better impedance matching  between the source
and its load. In any case the net effect of the 400 hz
source frequency air core transformer in triplicate is
that due to the resonant rise of amperage on the
ending  tank circuit with improved q factor, there are
clearly many more amp turns on the inductively derived
ending coils vs the amp turns on the primary. Having
gone off subject here, as I was noting with 60 hz wall
derived voltages, a neon can be discharged to ground
with a 55 volt input. The LC elements respond with a
1250 ohm resistive ballasting so that 55/1250 A equals
44 ma conduction, or lighting a neon to earth at a
reactive cost of 2.4 watts.
     A method of additionally ballasting the neon to
earth might hold a clue as to how much earth current
is derived with this method. (Neon currents have a
sawtooth form, probably difficult for some digital
meters to record.)  One can attach foil to a table
employing only several square feet, and employing a
plexiglass barrier between the foils a capacity can be
calculated, where one side of this capacity is then
grounded. It is found that this grounded capacity will
act almost the same as if the neon were directly
grounded, where in the case the plexiglass is a
barrier to the ground currents. As such the voltage
across the neon can be measured, (much lower then the
induction coils internal voltage rise; which is only
needed to initally fire the neon) and the capacity
measured to form a reactance ohms figure at 60 hz to
find the amount of amperage by ohms law that could be
obtained to earth through this ballasting.
    When two opposing or 180 phased  60 hz series
resonances are constructed in mutual inductance, a
peculiar thing is noted. The opposing voltage rises
each can be given distant neon/ground rod connections,
but both neons will not simultaneously light. The idea
of opposing voltages seems to have some merit if we
think about inducing electrical waves into the ground
itself. At the same time one side is q times positive,
the other side is q times negative. The distance
between the grounding points might dictate a much
higher vibration similar to resonant frequencies on a
tesla coil secondary. In any case we can "dictate" or
transmit morse code via one ended earth deliveries.
Since the two high voltage paths only become one when
the path of least resistance is found, if a neon and a
florescent are given distant groundings, as long as
the florescent is lighting, the neon will not(when
both opposing potentials are given bulb endings to
earth.) Thus disrupting the florescent light will
cause the distant neon to light, because it then
becomes the solitary ground path.
    To end here there are substantial differences
between where the 60 hz resonant circuits are driven
from a transformer or variac,( being isolated) which
then produces a steady state neon discharge, and when
the circuit is directly connected to the 120 volt wall
voltage, not being isolated. In this non isolated case
the neon will blink ~ 24 times per second, or it seems
to be responding to about 12 hz. For the 55 volt
variac driven case the bulb will display a steady
discharge to the capacitively coupled ground, but if
the bulb is instead placed across the coils voltage
rise it will blink quite slowly. In this second case
once the bulb ignites, it shorts out the resonant
voltage rise of the coil, thus quenching the neon
disharge, but when lit it is also in series with the
capacity. This slow blinking would seem to indicate
the the time lag for the coil to again make its series
resonant voltage rise from a shorted condition is
quite significant. In fact it seems reasonanble to
conclude that the series resonance may initially
require many cycles for it's full  series resonant
effect to appear.
Sincerely Harvey D Norris