Re: NST replacements

At 05:04 PM 3/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>

>You guys are a bit panicky.  Believe me, there will be amples amount of
>standard NSTs available for years to come.  The millions upon millions
>already in service
>and/or sitting in peoples houses, junk yards, etc.. are NOT simply going to
>disappear.
>

> > Don't worry Harvey, you'll always be able to buy a current limited HV
> > transformer for scientific (or artistic, or whatever) experimentation...
> >
> > What you won't be able to do (indirectly because of regulation) is be able
> > to get one for free (or cheap) as scrap.

Dan is entirely correct here... There ARE millions of them around, and
they'll gradually come out of service.  For a short time, the sign shops
will hoard them, as long as they can legally reuse them, but eventually,
they won't be able to reinstall a used unit (as in a direct replacement
situation), and they'll start dumping them.

This occurred in the motion picture business when they finally banned the
"giant banana plug" style of power distribution (i.e. 120/208Y AC -at- 200
Amps with 4 separate 2/0 or 4/0 conductors) and forced Camloc type
connectors with dead fronts, etc.  There was a several year transition
period while people were able to keep using the old gear (which, frankly, I
found terrifying, because the plug and sockets didn't always entirely
engage or didn't make good contact, so there was exposed energized
surfaces) in a "replacement of existing equipment" mode.  Then, there was a
"no new devices available" period, which prompted many to create "old/new
adapters", and finally, the old connectors were banned in their entirety,
at which point, they all started showing up at places like Apex in San
Fernando.