Re: NST replacements

Original poster: "Bunnykiller by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
>

>This past fall I paid a retired engineer from a certain leading NST
>manufacturer to set down with me for a day and help develop a new design as
>a replacement for those NST's that will soon be unavailable even used.  The
>new ones will be electronic in a few years and a current limited
>conventional NST will no longer be available.
>
>We developed two designs:
>
>     16 kV at 100 mA
>
>     16 kV at 200 mA
>
>This summer when I get back to Wisconsin I will order some cores and bobbins
>and we shall try our hand at winding these two xmfr designs.  We will market
>them with open core/coil assemblies so Tesla experimenters can drop them
>into a small plastic oil-filled tank.  The oil will allow for operation at
>the higher currents than normally available from conventional NST's.
>
>I don't have a clue regarding pricing as we do not yet have material pricing
>and no estimate of actual labor time for construction.
>
>I will keep the list posted of our work as it progresses.
>
>Dr. Resonance

Hi All...

another thing to watch out for in the so called near future....     MOTs
are being replaced by PWM ( pulsed width modulated) power supplies... yes
they are smaller, lighter, more efficient?, cheaper? ( must be
they are replacing the older models with Xfmrs rather quickly)   we had a
MW at work go into the "non working status" ( we have several MW at work in
the break rooms) soooo... being in the R&D dept. I had first dibs on
it...  after removing the shell I found no transformer, diode, and cap, but
a conglomeration of inductors, mosfets, and voltage multipliers...  along
with several IC chips ...   no longer are we given the simple objects of hi
voltage ( Xfmrs, caps  and diodes)  from MW ovens but instead...   hi tech
electronics that will challenge the intellect of of us without the EE
degree.....

start reading up on AC to DC pwm power supplies people ....   looks like we
are in for another learning curve...

Scot D