Need Help with Large Tesla Coil

Original poster: "Jonothon J. Cawley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cawleyjj-at-physics.purdue.edu>

   Hi, I am a college student at Purdue University where I am attempting
build a large tesla coil. Currently, we have 3 Pole Transformers, 8 mi. of
#22 magnet wire, and a 6 ft. long by 18 in. dia. sonotube as a secondary.
My immediate concerns are with the coating and winding of the secondary. A
friend and I recently took the sonotube to a Rhino-coating place, they
coat truck beds with a black plasti-like compound. The workers there
coated the sonotube. Now, I would like to know if this is a good coating
for a large tesla coil secondary. Next, how should I prepare the coated
sonotube to make sure the wire doesn't slip off as I am winding. Another
question along these lines is how should I wind the secondary? Should I
close-wind it or should I space wind it? What exactly is space winding?
Furthermore, should I install 1/4thick by 3 ft. diameter "spacers" along
the length of the coil in order to suppress arcing from the toroid to the
lower secondary turns? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance for any help or advice.

Sincerely,

Jonothon J. Cawley