[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Westinghouse Transformers (newbee)

<< About two weeks ago I was digging around in a junk yard and found 8
 westinghouse
 step down transformers. They are encased in hard rubber and measure 10in.
 by 10in. by 12in. Luckily one had a plate on it saying < Type PTM Ratio
 1:120  Primary 14400V F.W. imp. test 95>. I took one and sparked a 30VDC
 power supply off the secondary an the primary threw a spark about an inch
 and a half to two inches.

 I just wondered if any one knew how to wire one up in reverse to run a
 TC.

 -Nicholas McQuiston
 voltmaster-at-juno-dot-com

Nicholas,

Nice find, you should buy them quickly.  They sound like small potential
transformers used to monitor power lines or to step the voltage down to 120
volts to power small equipment (fans, etc.) at a substation.  Based on their
size, I would guess they are good for maybe 100 ma.  Applying 120 volts in
(to the 120v output leads) should yield 14,400 volts out (the end with the
high voltage bushings).  I don't believe these transformers are internally
current limited and you will need external ballast to use them in a Tesla
circuit.

Ed Sonderman