[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: flat caps

<<
 I have been taking apart small Capatictors just to get an idea of how
 they are arranged, I was amazed to open some of the rolled ones, they
 are awsome! After realizing it, all my caps I have ever used were rolled
 (About a year ago, I opened one for the first time to discover metal
 plates and tons of oil, now I can't find that one again!). I think
 rolled caps would be better for me. Let me ask you though, some small
 ones I opened (200V-at-220uf) had a sort of paper and metal materials
 soaked in oil, was this 'paper' like material a plastic? It was so
 soaked, I can't tell what it was, and how come to two windings of metal
 are different materials, one is shinnier than another.

 And did you use an oil?

 <...you would need plates of
 1010 square inches / 14" (std. width of roof flashing) = plates
 72.14"...>

 Roofing Flashing? Wasn't that material thick? What is wrong with using a
 whole roll of Aluminum Foil?

 Jeremy Bair

Jeremy,

The caps you took apart were probably electrolytics.  They use thin foil
plates and a paper dielectric, in oil.  The paper allows the oil to wick in
to the center of the plates and insures good dispersion of the oil.

Yes, my rolled caps are sitting in oil.  I bought mineral oil in a 5 gallon
bucket from the local Chevron oil distributor.

Roof flashing is maybe a little thicker than necessary but aluminum foil is
too thin.  You want the finished cap to exhibit low inductance and the plates
want to be very low in resistance.  These caps will see peak currrents of
thousands of amps in a Tesla coil tank circuit.

Ed Sonderman