[Home][2023 Index] [TCML] Re: Various coil parts needing a new home, want to build a colossal sized coil? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Various coil parts needing a new home, want to build a colossal sized coil?

Hi Andrew (...and Steve),

I will admit not too surprised about on facebook...but even here is going
to be tough in my opinion. The reality is the 3 phase at 480 is really a
deal breaker for many on this transformer/DC power supply. Yeah you could
put less voltage in and less output. But overall, it is going to have to be
that special kind of person...say kind of "nuts" :⁠-⁠D:⁠-⁠D:⁠-⁠D
Speaking of "nuts", I already own 3 brand new single phase 167KVA pole pig
transformers that are are a combined total of 4,551lbs and a total of 174
gallons of oil. I will of course most likely never fully use full KVA of
these. They will definitely be lightly loaded. Heck this is bigger than all
the transformers in my surrounding neighborhood in my small town. Hmm...
maybe I need to move nextdoor to our small substation in town
:⁠-⁠D:⁠-⁠D:⁠-⁠D Or suggest they put up one of my spare transformers in the
neighborhood, I would give it to them free :⁠-⁠D:⁠-⁠D:⁠-⁠D I could not
resist having a little fun dreaming here. We do all dream of building all
kinds of coils don't we after all? :⁠^⁠)
So to give the unfamiliar here my numbers will give the a basic idea if
they are interested to possibly plan for this.
It is a little hard to read the tag...but it looks to have 232 gallons of
oil in this fella.
Surprised none of the 3 tags give a total weight at all.
But with the amount of oil in it one can now I would say get a basic idea
of approximate weight of this single fella.

Unfortunately...as another fella said in another post...darn distance
getting in the way...we HV people are definitely spread apart it seems.

And speaking of oil, that is how I got my 3 brand new transformers
practically free a few years ago.
I am not going to give all details who had them, but they were stuck with
them.
Someone made some kind of purchasing mistake, too much time had passed when
the mistake realized and could not return. It was a multi-year construction
project on a brand new building. So they just sat there as they were
ordered way early, then found out as they were about to install...and of
course had to order proper ones.
Construction got all done, building opened up. A little bit of time passes
and they decide to try to sell...for a little lower than what they paid, no
takers, and well just kept lowering along the way...still no takers...
finally decided to just scrap them and get what they can scrap...well found
out oil in it is a no go at least in my "neck of the woods" around here.
They would have to pay a company to come and remove all oil and haul oil
away, was not cheap. And still afterwards...local scrap yards not all
really that interested even after oil emptied, going to charge for them and
charge to haul away. So these higher "ups" finally decided to task this to
a much lower level blue collar boss of maintenance to make them "disappear"
to someone he possibly knows...so he knows me some, and he figures I am
that special person and also that I would not kill myself with them.
Contacts me, fills me in on all this and tells me they do need a slight
paper trail, they must have to charge something (next to nothing actually)
for these 3 brand new transformers. A hour later, I take a look at them,
did some basic meter checks, looked at the paperwork that came with them
from the transformer maker,  said I can make all 3 disappear tomorrow if
you cut off a few more bucks (I figured I have leverage here... what the
heck, they want them gone.) because I need to get my rigging gear just to
move and pick these things up. This place is not industrial at all. No
equipment at all to pick up and trapped in corner of building inside. So he
makes a quick phone call and tells them my proposal to get even more next
to nothing if make them disappear tomorrow. Very quickly he says done deal
they said. For me this deal was convenient as it was just 4 miles from my
house.

So Andrew, after my long winded story how I got my fairly big transformers,
even though I would hate to see this transformer scrapped, I am not sure of
how things are in your area for scrapping something like this. And I agree
with Steve for offering free as a motivation. It is also now 30+ years old.
Even still while waiting for that special person...I would start
investigating right now if you could have problems possibly at scrap yards.

I hope someone will at least save that beautiful 3 phase linear voltage
regulator. For those not familiar, this is not a full range Variac, it
automatically corrects kind of quick by an electric motor control, the
output voltage to be stable 480V. Input range is +9 and -14% of 480V if I
remember correctly.

Okay, just wanted to ramble some thoughts and complain stuff again too far
away :⁠-⁠(

Chris Reeland
Ladd Illinois USA

Sent from my Lenovo Tablet