[Home][2022 Index] [TCML] Re: Termination of secondary coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

On 5/18/22 9:36 AM, Joshua Thomas wrote:
> Thanks for the previous comments on noise. Another question I have is how
> builders are terminating the magnet wire for their secondary coils. Attach
> to a base plate? A bolt?  Heavier wire?

I bring mine down to a banana plug, and there's a mating banana jack on
the base support, and that has a wire to another banana plug that goes
to my chicken wire counterpoise.  This is for a 3-4" diameter secondary
wound on PVC pipe.  The base a "plug" that fits the ID of the secondary
pipe. It was a piece of delrin that I spun down in the lathe to fit.
Later, I found that they make these cool squishy plugs for sewer pipes -
you put it in the pipe and tighten a bolt and it squishes a rubber thing
out against the ID of the pipe. If I were doing it again, that's what I
would use, because you could stick the secondary on, and then tighten
the wing nut to clamp it in place.

I did have one coil where I ran the secondary wire through a little hole
to the inside, then into a banana plug in the middle of the bottom.  But
I worried about racing sparks on the inside of the secondary, so since
then, I've avoiding conductors inside the secondary, because it's a
generally high E field place, and corners make corona, and corona makes
sparks, and sparks that you can't see are bad.

There's not a lot of current in the secondary, so you don't need a big
conductor for current capacity.