[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT

>   but how much time has been wasted now doing your fast winds and time
spent coating both? And cost of forms, wire, coatings?

My first wind was by hand and ~1000 turns of 28ga magnet wire on a 3.5" PVC
form. Came out terrible. I bought big spools of magnet wire from a supplier
and PVC from the hardware store, so that was probably $15 in materials all
totalled. Tried using liquid polyurethane varnish ($5) and that didn't work
as I liked it. $20 is really not much in my grand scheme of things - I
spent 4 times that much on capacitors.

Second wind was after I built a winding jig powered by cordless drill. Much
better, still has some obvious gaps in spacing. Same material cost. Used
spray varnish this time, has worked much better (less dripping, lighter
coats dry much faster).

I'm pretty sure I can eventually refine my winding jig to get me to wind an
excellent coil without much hassle. I've seen plenty of other people do it,
so it's certainly not an impossible problem. However, if I can find a
professional place to do it for reasonable cost, I'm more than willing to
have that done. There's a number of custom coil winding shops in my area.

If I continue to do my own I will likely change from PVC to some other
material - I've noticed the common PVC I can get may be slightly
out-of-round. G10 and FR4 are other options - I've used them for rocket
building.

Joshua Thomas