[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Seeking parts for synchronous rotary spark gap. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Seeking parts for synchronous rotary spark gap.

There's no need for tungsten carbide. A plastic disk made of HDPE or even
a thin plastic cutting board is fine. You might even sneak by with the
rotor disk being press fit to the shaft, depending your skills with a
drill. balance of the disk really won't matter too much at 1800RPM or
whatever you use.

I like brass contacts from bolts of allthread, because it's easy to work
with and isn't covered in zinc. I made my first coils with no machine
tools past a drill and handsaw and that works fine. Without additional
information on the motor, there's not much more I can suggest.

Mechanically all you need are to support the contacts and to insulate
them. No parts touch, they just fly by each other. It's really not an
engineering challenge. You will need the motor to rotate in a cradle of
some sort to "time" it against line voltages. My last rotary gap used
strings to tie the motor to the base. Phase was adjusted by rotating the
motor by hand. It worked fine.

Photos of the motor and setup would help.