From: Tesla <tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of daniel_kline7657--- via Tesla
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 3:29 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: **External Email** [TCML] Dumb Ballast Question

Dear List,
I have a question regarding ballast for a 14.4kV distribution transformer.

Last time I set one of these up, I used a 500-foot roll of 12 gauge solid wire as ballast. That worked great.

I no longer have that roll of wire, but I do have a 250-foot roll of 12-gauge stranded two-conductor speaker wire.

My question is this: Can I leave the wire on the roll as it is and connect the two conductors together at the end of the roll, essentially creating a single conductor roll of 500 feet. Or should I unroll all of the wire and separate it into two 250-foot single conductors, connect them together, and then re-roll what would then be a 500-foot single conductor wire.

I ask because I am afraid that if I just leave the wire on the roll and connect the two ends I'll have lots of eddy currents and heating issues when using it as the ballast.
Thanks,Dan K.
This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender, delete the original and all copies of the email and destroy any other hard copies of it.