[Home][2019 Index] [TCML] What´s the current standpoint on quarter wave versus lumped secondary modeling [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] What´s the current standpoint on quarter wave versus lumped secondary modeling

Hi, I recently made a very simple measurement on my coil
www.sthlmteslacoil.se <http://www.sthlmteslacoil.se>  with my
IR-thermometer. After a few minutes of running, the top of the secondary was
at room tempoerature (20 degrees), while the bottom part was at 30 degrees
celsius. I can´t find any other explanation besides that the current could
be much higher at the bottom part and therefore cause local resistive
heating of the magnet wire.

What is the current standing in the debate about tesla coils being quarter
wave resonators as opposed to simple lumped LC-circuits? If they are quarter
wave resonators the current would be much higher at the bottom, but not if
they could be modeled as lumped circuits.

The main documents I have found from when the debate was hot twenty years
ago are these:

<http://hotstreamer.deanostoybox.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/smallar/smallar4.ht
ml>
http://hotstreamer.deanostoybox.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/smallar/smallar4.htm

www.tuks.nl/pdf/Reference_Material/Corum/RF%20Coils,%20Helical%20Resonators%
20and%20Voltage%20Magnification%20by%20Coherent%20Spatial%20Modes%20-%202001
.pdf
<http://www.tuks.nl/pdf/Reference_Material/Corum/RF%20Coils,%20Helical%20Res
onators%20and%20Voltage%20Magnification%20by%20Coherent%20Spatial%20Modes%20
-%202001.pdf>

They both seem quite convincing to me, but are totally copntradictory. What
is the current standpoint on these issues? Are there any alternative
explanations to the heating of the bottom part of my coil?

Regards,

Jan

Stockholm, Sweden