[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Pole Pig Transportation [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Pole Pig Transportation

Dan,

A 50 KVA unit is going to be heavy, probably upward of 2,000#.  Are you sure about the rating?

I have a 25 KVA transformer (it seemed like a good idea at the time) in the driveway that tips the scales at 1,200# and is about 5 feet tall.  Either you have a 5 KVA unit, or a substantial underestimate on the shipping weight.

Your best bet would be LTL (Less than Truckload Lot).  I have used Freightquote.com with decent results in the past.  The entry price tends to be about $500 for any shipment.  If you need a liftgate for unloading, that will tack on additional charges of roughly $125 at each end, especially if they are delivering to a residential address.   Be sure to plan to be around when the delivery happens.  The driver will NOT unload the transformer for you, at least not without yet another charge.

I've always taken advantage of a good friend of mine who has a factory with an official loading dock and a forklift to unload the heavy pieces from the trucks.  That usually gets the minimum available shipping rate, but you can expect to start the quotes at something like $500, and they go up from there.

Dave