[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] where is everyone [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] where is everyone

I think Mads assessment of social media platforms is correct. In addition
to the issues previously pointed out, platforms like facebook, instagram,
etc. do not reward long form content in the same way that forums or mailing
lists do.

I'm not sure that social media is entirely to blame though. From my
observation of the solid state coiling community there hasn't been that
much that has changed about building coils in recent years. Gone are the
days when solid state coils were new and poorly understood. Since 2008 or
so many of the developments I've observed in the field of solid state
coiling have been related to modulation of the RF envelope and allowing
dual resonant coils to run longer pulse lengths. These developments were
documented and put up on sites that are searchable.

So far as I can tell there are more people 'building' coils than ever. The
thing is that a lot of people build kits now. I'm not sure that a kit is
the best way to get into the hobby, since you tend to learn less than
having to design the system from the ground up. That said, maybe some of
those kit builders will decide to start tweaking things to get better
performance and end up building their own custom coils.

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but reddit seems like it could
be a decent place for discussion related to Tesla coils. Reddit is a very
popular platform, and allows long-form and short-form posts. The subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaCoils doesn't have many subscribers, but you
guys could help with that.

-Phillip Slawinski