[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Re Please review my coil plan [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Re Please review my coil plan

Hello David,
 I was not the originator of the retaining collars but also chose the McMaster-Carr aluminium versions to retain my 3/8" and 1/2" pure tungstens. I did this because the electrodes were originally retained only by a very tight interference fit requiring high vice pressure to press them in. Running up to about 10Kw, they obviously got hot but ablation was minimal and gaps were run a close 5 thou or so. They ran like for this for a long time but when I checked them recently, to my horror, the two flying electrodes (100 bps UK) were loose fits in the rotor, how they did not contact was a miracle..The rotor material was Tufnol although I had used Garolite a long time ago (not enjoyable to machine!) and the heat had loosened the electrodes although there was no charring or damage whatsoever. The collars pressed tight onto the rotor have restored order and all has been well in that respect so far, can't be too careful.
Regards,Phillip.

14 Broad Street, Stamford, Lincs PE9 1PG

Tel: 01780 753008