[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Divide and conquer [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Divide and conquer

Chris, We measure multi MV level Marx outputs with either a free field differential sensor or in one case a resistive load resistor, this Marx is in oil. Much easier to do on a Marx than a TC due to the impedance. I'd recommend you look into differntial E-field sensors. A real one is hard to come by, but at our facility we are measuring broadband signals from 1ghz down to 10kHz within a resonable degree of certainly. The arc will of course effect the fields.
You have the perfect test environment at the lab, with a giant faraday cage. I'd recommend you construct your own probe mount it to the cage wall or ceiling and go from there.
-Jay

------ Original message------From: jimlux Date: Tue, Feb 27, 2018 8:28 AMTo: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx;Cc: Subject:Re: [TCML] Divide and conquer
On 2/26/18 8:42 PM, Bert Hickman wrote:> Chris,> > It's a very challenging design problem. And, the divider will be quite > sensitive to changes in the surrounding E-field. Since TC sparks create > shifting space charge regions with corresponding fluctuating E-fields in > the surrounding air, accurate direct measurements can be done only if > the Tesla coil is not actively creating streamers/leaders.> you might look at commercial products made from this:Not a lot of design info, buthttp://www.rossengineeringcorp.com/products/measurement/hv-voltage-dividers.htmlis an example.I'm sure there's stuff out there about designing a divider to work with the output of a Marx at megavolt levels - way above what a TC will put out._______________________________________________Tesla mailing listTesla@tedward.pupman.comhttps://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla