[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Saturable Reactor History [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Saturable Reactor History

It is because it does work, but not properly in TC application. Another reason is, that the "new generation" coilers are not any longer interested in such technologies, they preffer IGBT's and such stuff and go for DRSSTCs....

Many years ago I did some experiments with saturable reactors. I used very big welding transformers (3 phase). I used the coil on the middle leg for control (variable DC current up to 20 Amps) and the two outer legs for load windings. Results were, that I was not able to get the desired power level even not by paralleling 2 of this devices and some other strange behavior. To make a long story short, it worked basically but I came to the conclusion, that a normal balast with air gap is much easier and better. Some old videos of my experiments:

Driving jacobbs ladder with saturable reactor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-cbBRoKpc

Another test Setup with some description below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6XLZvZQsI

Regards, Stefan