[Home][2018 Index] [TCML] Line filters [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Line filters

On 2/6/18 6:00 AM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:
Thank you for the response Gary. Glad I asked, the neutral vs hot side
escaped me for some reason!

While on the subject of line filters. I do have a 20a commercial line
filter that I am planning on using. I find it odd that they display the
schematic on line filters, but do NOT show the frequency cut off. I too
suspect that the commercial filters do nothing in the lower RF spectrum. I
will see if I can work out the math. Mine has a few capacitors and coils.

most common line filters are attenuating higher frequencies (>10MHz), so as to meet FCC Part 15 requirements.

Here's one from Corcom a 20VW1 for $70, out of the Mouser catalog
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_DS_20VW1_7-689098.pdf

Attenuation is 65 dB at 5 MHz, but starts to roll off below 500kHz.
Pretty good differential mode attenuation from 500k to 10 MHz

I'm not sure what you'd be looking for in a TC - common mode or differential - probably common mode (i.e. HF coupling back across the transformer, treating the whole primary circuit as a single conductor)