[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] HV tolerant EMI filters? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] HV tolerant EMI filters?

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 5:45 PM, Gary Lau <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I also toasted an EMI filter early on in my coiling career.  I performed a
> thoughtful analysis of how I had it wired, and discovered that I had it
> hooked up incorrectly.  It's not at all obvious what the right way is.  I
> wrote up the wrong and right ways with an explanation of what makes each
> right or wrong.  Please see http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/emifilter.htm.
> How did you have yours hooked up?

Hi Gary, thanks for the thorough reply. On the assumption that the load was
the expected to be the RFI generating source I had the NST connected to
the load terminals, and the Line going to the line. Actually, the filter was not
between the NST and the variable, but right at the line, after the circuit breaker.
Failure mode was to open completely on one side and very high resistance
on the other.

I suspect having the safety gaps set too far apart was a contributing factor,
although they were set correctly for a different main gap. The new RQ type
gap actually needs more gaps / spacing to fully charge the cap, I’m not even
getting full performance out of the machine.

Thanks for your reply and that informative link.
 - B(G)L