[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Voltage/power dissapation drop across HV DC current limiting resistors. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Voltage/power dissapation drop across HV DC current limiting resistors.

Paula,

MOTs are going in the wrong direction for this project. They have relatively low output voltages, but very high output currents. A good MOT can easily put out 500 mA into a short circuit, as they have only a very small built in leakage inductance.

You don't usually begin to see corona at less than 10 KV, so even doubling a 2200 volt MOT would only give you 4400 volts, and the amount of stored energy plus the high current capacity of the MOT would result in a system with a much greater lethal potential than a rectified NST.

Matt's project is looking for a moderately high voltage at a very small current.

I'm not sure how wide his belt is, or how efficient his corona generating electrode is, but a milliamp or less at relative low voltage would probably be entirely sufficient for his purposes.

Dave