[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] current transformer help [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] current transformer help

John,

Many of the less expensive CT / AC ammeter setups are nonlinear at the bottom of the scale. You have to have enough current to get at least 10 - 15% of a full scale reading to make them work accurately. This is because the meter movement inside the analog meter is actually a DC movement driven by a diode bridge, and you have to apply enough voltage to the terminals to overcome a couple of diode forward voltages to get the pointer to budge. Once the diode bridge in the input circuit is fully conducting, the readings will be valid.

You said that with both the digital and analog meter connected to the CT, you got no readings. If you connected all three devices in series (which is the correct way), no current would flow until you had overcome the forward voltage of the bridge in the analog meter.

If you are seeing a scale reading of 18 - 23 amps with the analog meter alone connected directly in your circuit without the CT in place, then it would indicate that you are actually running 1.8 - 2.3 amps in your NST primary, since 5 amps would drive the analog meter to full scale, or the 50 amp position.

If you connect the current transformer to a good quality DMM set on the 10 amp scale, is should be linear down to very small currents.

Dave