[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] VDGer Tesla project [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VDGer Tesla project

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5™, a Cricket 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Matthew Sweeney <msweeney23@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/04/2015  14:10  (GMT-06:00)
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] VDGer Tesla project

So after all these years of static generators I've decided to build a
really decent coil. I know some electronics but not much high power RF so
probably a spark gap. I've looked online in my various books and find a lot
is disagreement about primary tank arrangement, use of inductors and
'squenched spark gaps'.

I don't need and entire plan but I'd be delighted for some simple tips for
my design:

* what type of secondary wire where to buy
I buy temco magnet wire from ebay best prices I've found my 6" coil took 5lbs of 20awg.
* ideal secondary form material (I used pvc in the past).
* good place for decent HV caps for the long series/parralel type (do I
need resistors for these).
Www.easternvoltageresearch.com  has 942c20p15k-f .15uf 2000v caps for $4.99 ea best price on those I know of.  I use 4 strings of 16 for a total of 64 in my coil. You need 10mohm  1/2 watt bleeder resistors across each cap so it will be safe to touch after powering off.
* primary winding material/type I've used copper tube inclined out I see a
lot of recent coils just wind straight up with thick solid insulate wire?
I use 60ft of 1/4" copper tubing for primary coil and a 3/8" for my strike ring.
* best design for primary tank like arrangement of gap/caps.
* feedback prevention.
On ebay lookup tesla stuff Alan majernick has Terry filter kit ( protect your nsts) emi filters , insulators, tungsten steel electtrodes for a static gap, and whole kits, plans, 1/4-20 tapped balls spheres for top loads safety gaps.
Ebay seller amazingnh1 has spun aluminum toroids.
* where to find a decent affordable variac. I've seen people using light
dimmer switch this seems insane!
* I have 12k,12k,15k 30ma old francefoormers.
Same ones I'm using.
* I do have a scope but no frequncy generator. Could I literally use my
computer/phone with a simple unamplified sine generator.
* rotary slark gap? Is it worth it, what troubles does it bring?

Thank you so much for any info as noted I'm checking online too but this
group seem to have major experience.

Matt

Minnesota