[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] Wanted tabletop metal lathe [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Wanted tabletop metal lathe

I have been interested in the ongoing conversations about machining tools.  The main focus has been on the machine. You are forgetting one thing, the operator.  You can have an expensive, accurate machine and turn out garbage if you don't know how to run it.  On the other hand, you can have a cheap POS and turn out fairly good work if you are careful and know what you are doing.  Fairly, but that is a very subjective word.  It really depends on what you are defining as "accurate".  It does not take a $50,000 CNC lathe to turn a bushing.  I have been doing production work with my POS Enco lathe and have achieved all the specs I have to work with, but here again, it depends on what you want to do.  I can constantly turn out .001 work, but more than that forget it.  That is well within most work that is needed.
Good luck.