[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] What is the best place for Charging Reactor? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] What is the best place for Charging Reactor?

Hello,

What is the best place for mounting the charging reactor in a DC System? My system will look basically like the following: In the coil base there are located the primary coil, the primary capacitor(s) and the rotary of course. 10-15 meters away there is the power controller, variac, high voltage 3-phase transformer + rectifiers. The HV is fed to the coil base via high voltage wire. So far so good! So now the question is: Where is the best place for the charging choke? My concern when mounted into the coil base is, that it sits directly below the primary coil in very close proximity to it. The choke doesn't have a metal housing, so there is the risk of inducing dangerous HF voltages in the inductor's pancake coils and cooking them? On the other hand, it would be no problem to place the choke 10-15 meters away from the coilbase, together with the HV transformer. But then there are 10-15m wire between the choke and the primary capacitor, does this make any problems, like big losses for example?

Regards,
Stefan