[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] SSRs? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] SSRs?

Matt,

Based solely on my own experience, I'm not a huge fan of SSRs for TC use, for the following reasons:

Our loads are usually highly inductive, and many ordinary SSRs don't like inductive loads.

The inputs of SSRs are very sensitive, and may be falsely triggered by the high RF levels inherent in TC work, with undesirable results.

Most importantly, many SSRs have low levels of leakage current, even when "Off", perhaps just a handful of milliamps. This is no problem if the load is a light bulb or a motor. However, if you pass this small current through a step up transformer, you can end up with a really unpleasant surprise from a "deenergized" system.

For my systems, I use only good old fashioned electromechanical relays. YMMV.

Dave