[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] SRSG @ 360 bps (60Hz) or 300 bps (50Hz) [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] SRSG @ 360 bps (60Hz) or 300 bps (50Hz)

Brian & Stefan et al
That's a surprising result Brian for a 40bps difference; do you think it may
have been the case that the tank circuit was closer to resonance with the
60Hz supply? (It's a depressing result otherwise as I run 200 on my own
coil)

If the two lower voltage peaks resulting from the uneven firing of the 300
had been higher it would certainly make 300 more useful. Uneven electrodes
do indeed give three even peaks Stefan, but again the tank voltage is well
down.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/33962508@N03/15734842692/

The 300 coil went well, given that the breakers were on their limit and
often tripped, (and 7kw or so really needed a lot more than a 6 foot ceiling
clearance anyway), but the sound was clearly very similar to 100bps which we
certainly hadn't expected, while the streamer behaviour was approaching that
of a higher bps ARSG.
It comes as nothing new when I say if slow lazy streamers are the aim then
SRSGs are best limited to 100 or 200, with 300 being the turning point,
above that ARSGs not only benefit in performance, (Yes I know the BIGGG one
runs at 120bps, but it is 25kw or so), but are also a much easier build.

PS: The various tank voltages versus phases for 300 can be seen here:
http://www.hvtesla.com/misc/1_300srsg.gif

(The timings (top right) don't account for spark advance obviously, but it's
all relative,)

Phil