[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Choosing the right toroid

Hi Noah,

Using simple formulas that are usually within 5%:

Once you have the Primary capacitance and secondary coil size, then the maximum primary inductance determines the maximum secondary capacitance, since at resonance,LpriCpri=LsecCsec.

Now Csec is the sum of the internal capacitance of the secondary (Cint) plus the capacitance of the toroid(Ctor). This means that the largest toroid capacitance you can use is

Ctor=LpCp/Ls - Cint

There are many combinations of toroid major and minor diameters that will give the same Ctor:

For a quick calculation:

 Ctor=1.4(1.2781-D/d)*sqrt[pi*d(D-d)} with C in pF d & D in inches.

For exact, detailed calculations see:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/capcalc.pdf

With no topload, Csec=cCint which yields a minimum Lpri of  LsecCint / Cpri.

1) For tuning purposes it is a good idea to have a slightly greater range on the primary coil than the calculated Lmax & Lmin values imply.
Also, some people claim that better results are obtained when Ctor>=Cint which would further restrict the minimum size of toroid.

Hope this helps,

Matt D