[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Winder [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Winder

> Very nice winder!  Many professional winders pull the wire off the end of
the
> spool to avoid the large angular momentum of the rotating spool.  That
way,
> if you have to stop the spool doesn't keep turning and make a big tangle
or
> kinks, and doesn't break the wire when you start it.  This only works for
wire
> sizes around 20 and smaller

Larger sizes are often fed from closed-top buckets of wire. The top of the
bucket has a small hole through which the wire is fed out to the winding
machine. The wire is coiled against the inside wall of the bucket and the
inner end of the wire from the center of the coiled wire leaves the bucket
to the winder. It's sort of an inside-out version of the spool system you
described.  I once did a winding job on a very large coil with 6,000 pounds
of #16 AWG wire. The buckets carried about 60 pounds of wire each. The coil
was  multi-layer solenoid about 48 inches long, and 48 inches in inside
diameter. Every layer was insulated with Kapton sheet and over coated with
varnish. I built the winding machine. It looked somewhat like a mechanical
spider, but it worked quite well. It required about four days to wind the
complete coil. Most of the time was spent waiting for the varnish to harden.
Quite a project!

Best DX & 73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7