[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Finalizing My Tesla Coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Finalizing My Tesla Coil

Hi Kuba,

There's nothing wrong with adding a sphere atop a toroid.  However, the
incremental capacitance of the sphere, assuming your image is to scale,
will be rather small, as the shape of the toroid will shield the field from
the sphere.  I think just adding an extra primary turn would probably have
a greater impact at lowering Fres than the added sphere.

If you're shooting for the maximum spark length, I think the size of your
toroid needs to be up'ed considerably.  With my 15/60 NST, I use a 7x30
primary toroid with a smaller corona ring toroid spaced beneath it, to gain
additional height for the main toroid.  With top loads, bigger is _always_
better.

I didn't completely understand the geometry of your gap.  I don't think
there's any good reason to try to contain the gap arc.  PVC, and
particularly rubber (!), will suffer rapidly from exposure to the UV
radiation of the gap.  I think the gap will generate the same amount of
ozone whether or not it's contained, assuming that the air is circulated
and not sealed, and you DO want good circulation.  And in any
well-performing coil, the sound from the top load sparks will be much
louder than the sound of the gap, so no point in trying to muffle it.  I
would recommend a sucker gap - it's been widely tested and is easy to
construct and adjust.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm

Hope this helps,

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA