[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] car distributor as rotary gap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] car distributor as rotary gap

1)  The distributor rotor does NOT make and break the high voltage. It only connects the power to each wire in turn during the fraction of a second or so when the points are closed. It is the points which make and break the low voltage, sending a pulse through the coil resulting in a high voltage spike at the output synchronized to the position of the switch (rotor). there is no power on the rotor when it is between contacts.

2) Spark coils for non-racing passenger cars almost never exceeded 20-22 kV. Spark coils in the  30kV+ range for cars were almost exclusively an affectation of the racing community.

3) The energy handled per spark is very low (<< 1 joule), otherwise the points would quickly spot-weld = end-of-game. Remember, the ignition systems sole purpose is to provide just enough power in tiny bursts to ignite the fuel/air mixture.

As has been mentioned, it might be workable for a very low power coil, but it's a physically large piece of equipment for a small coil, but if you have a "Rube Goldberg"*  mind-set, then go for it!

Matt D

* for those too young to remember, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine