[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap

Never tried, but I would imagine the drag from the fluid would be excessive
and the motor size needed would make things impracticable. When modifying to
synchronous, the motor looses quite a lot of power in the conversion. I can
see the motor burning out if you're not careful.
A better approach would be a gas filled box. Sulphur hexafluoride is an
excellent insulator and is heavier than air so if it leaks you know where
it's gone.
Also steel and RF do not work together, and you will still get excessive
heating, which in itself won't help quenching.
The extra expense of either of the above mentioned gaps, would surely be
more than sourcing the Tungsten rod needed for an ordinary gap?
I would estimate, from doing runs using just a dummy secondary load, that
only 2/3 of the noise comes from the gap on a big coil. The lower the power
of the coil, the more noise just comes from the gap, and less from the
streamers.

Phil

www.hvtesla.com