[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Secondary Coil Sparks [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Secondary Coil Sparks

On 4/6/14 8:51 PM, Kuba Anglin wrote:
Hi,
Today I just finished my first Tesla coil and tested it. The spark gap was
firing perfectly, but there were no sparks being emitted from the toroid. I
retried adjusting the primary coil tap and the spark gap length until I saw
sparks. However, these sparks came out of the bottom of the secondary coil,
arcing up about several inches before disappearing. The toroid emitted no
sparks. I don't know what to do. Below are some images of my new coil.

Do you have a "breakout point" on your top electrode?
something from which sparks can start? Usually something like a piece of stiff wire sticking out past the toroid? You can lay a long screwdriver or a piece of coathanger wire on the top of your toroid.

You have a very nice smooth toroid, so it might be that there's nowhere for a spark to start.

Sparks at the bottom sounds like "racing sparks" which is often the result of either too much coupling or too large a topload.
http://s23.postimg.org/tm1xzbll7/Tesla_Coil_Pic_1.jpg
http://s12.postimg.org/urt4j5dfx/Tesla_Coil_Pic_2.jpg

Thanks,
Kuba Anglin