Re: [TCML] coin shrinking

On 10/27/13 10:51 AM, pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Take the simpler and easier case of can crushing first.
Electrolytics will discharge in milli seconds but you need microseconds.
Sam Barros (Powerlabs) used 3 kJ of electrolytics and could give some
waist to the can only.
http://www.powerlabs.org/pssecc.htm
Proper pulse caps with 1.5 kJ will tear the can in half easily and shoot
the ends many feet.
http://tesladownunder.com/CanCrushing.htm#CanCrusher2.

You need puck diodes to catch EMF and even then they may blow. I blew
mine at 15 kA.

For coin shrinking, you need much greater energies and I think you
really need pulse caps to do that which don't have the same problems
with reverse voltage.
It took me 5 kJ to shrink a coin.

I disconnect the charging supply during the discharge, and use pulse caps which can take the huge (potential) voltage reversal.

I had started doing some exploding wires and leaving the charging supply connected, but after destroying a handful of diodes, I figured, it's not worth it. Build it tough and simple and be happy.