Re: [TCML] At a loss. No light on second coil

Hi Andrew,
     I wouldn't waste my time with the capacitors just yet, and here is
why...  MOT coils work great without them (I don't use them), so by adding
them you are not figuring out why the coil is not working, you are just
changing a variable which is likely not the problem (spark gap is firing so
power supply IS working to one extent or another) and introducing more
possible causes of failure.  If I had to guess I would say you are majorly
power arcing, I had the exact same problem with my first 4 MOT stack.  I
suspect you are also badly out of tune, both these things will cause
the symptoms you are experiencing, assuming you don't have a secondary
short or carbon trail, which seems to not be the case according to your
inspection.  As for your secondary being too small, I wouldn't fuss about
that too much, yeah your coil is a bit small for your power level, but it
is easy to dial back power until tuning is fixed.  If it were me, I would
do the "put a pole next to the top load and look for sparks" thing until
you get it tuned.  Don't be afraid of sparks spontaneously forming
regardless of power level, it isn't going to spontaneously start working
fantastic and kill you (unless your spark gap is terrible and not
quenched.)  I would also personally rebuild your rotary, that will rule out
power arcing (if the arc in the gap stretches, it is power arcing.)  It is
also possible a MMC cap shorted, and it is now impossible to tune in your
configuration, I've used a lot of homemade caps early on and that was
sometimes a problem.  What are your cap specks again?  Remember as your
voltage goes down, you need a bigger cap to maintain a healthy power
transfer rate; if your cap is too small, it will be impossible to tune from
a power draw standpoint, even if it is "in resonance."  It is also possible
one leg of your MOT stack is unhooked, but you said you drew sparks from
it, so I don't believe that to be the case this time.  Anyway when push
comes to shove, if you want to rule out the power supply, don't throw more
parts at it, take away parts, fall back to 2 MOTs, this would be more
prudent troubleshooting practice.  Once you are running a 2 pack, go from
there with tuning, and once it purrs, reintroduce the other MOTs, and feel
the power!  Just my recommendation, I wouldn't want you to spend 2 months
trying to figure it out like I did...

Scott Bogard.