Re: [TCML] 942 destructive high voltage test

Hi Mark,

That's great information! The capacitor initial DC breakdown voltage of about 4500 VDC appears to be fairly consistent across the sample. Assuming ~100% voltage reversals (%VR) in TC use, this suggests that the caps may withstand 2kV of RF (4 kV peak-to-peak) as long as they are operated below their RMS current limit (about 8A).

As Jim mentioned, overvolting (including %VR) has a dramatic impact on lifetime. Maxwell uses the following formula to estimate lifetime a elevated voltage versus rated voltage:

Life at V2 =(Life at V1)*(V1/V2)^n

While the historical value for the exponent (n) is about 7 for polyester, it is about _15_ for polypropylene! Although catastrophic failures in MMC caps are usually prevented by self-healing, continued overvolting and faulting/clearing will rapidly convert your cap's metalization system to Swiss cheese.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Mark X2 wrote:
A little while ago I posted to find out if anyone did some recent testing
on the 942 caps.

There was no response, so I decided to sacrifice 5 of my 942s for the
cause.
(In the mean time I found that Terry Fritz tested one of these caps back in
2001
http://www.tb3.com/tesla/capacitors/GeekCaps.htm)

Each cap was hooked up to the output of a BAUR PGK 25 High Voltage Test Set
to measure the leakage current while increasing the (dc) voltage until they
finally started to fail internally or blew up.

Anyone who's interested in the results: 942 cap
test<https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjcuskwabhhrsat/942%20Cap%20test.pdf>
I'd like to invite you to draw your own conclusions and to discuss them
here.

Mark