Re: [TCML] Quick and Cheap Toroid

On 3/13/13 7:19 AM, Peter Terren wrote:
I have used flexible aircon duct toroids on all my Tesla coils including
a museum one. Also including one where spark length is 3 times the
secondary winding length. It's great to pull off the Mori clips and
concertina it back to nothing.
I have one brushed aluminium toroid and have never used it.
I don't try to calculate size any more. Bigger is better.  I have used
all sorts of bizarre types including a Red Alert reproduction multi
level one.
On the other hand all my home coils have a rotating rod/breakout point.

So if they don't affect performance, are OK in museum and public
performance and are in use on TC's of all sizes then it's just a vanity
thing to use the brushed Al one at great expense.
Just my 2 cents (Australian) worth (and likely to be controversial).
Peter
tesladownunder.com

OK.. what is a Mori clip?  (link to a picture pls?)

Your point is well taken about appearance..

There are multiple motivations within the TC community.. are you building for appearance, for sparks, or both, or something else entirely (sound output? proof of new design concept?)

There are those who produce what are essentially works of art and craftsmanship (hand rubbed lacquer with 32 coats on the variac knob alone) and those who use whatever they found in the discard bin.

both work, both "scratch the builder's itch"