Re: [TCML] Quick and Cheap Toroid

Jim, All,

Any qualms with using a cheapo spray paint to coat the filler as opposed to
varnish/polyurethane? I'm interested in hearing in detail how you (Phil,
and anyone else it may concern) apply the varnish here.

Always thankful,
Brandon

On Mar 12, 2013 6:36 PM, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/12/13 4:03 PM, Brandon Hendershot wrote:
>>
>> That's exactly like the one I had seen, only better. I've already bought
>> the things to make it. And words of wisdom regarding spackling/filling
the
>> duct?
>

> The smoother the underlying surface, the smoother the aluminum foil
surface will be.  Something like automotive body filler (Bondo (r)) can
typically be sanded smoother..

> However, regular old spackle and some varnish or polyurethane can
probably do just as well.

> Important:  make sure the filler is DRY before putting the finish on.
>
> You can use almost anything as a form underneath the filler.  Some
structure is useful.  People have used inflatable tubes even.  You could
cover it with stretchy fabric and polyester resin (e.g. a similar process
to "silk" artificial nails).